The core of the P.D.R.™ program is based on the S.P.E.A.R. System™ which Coach Tony Blauer developed through over 30 years of research into the emotional, psychological, and physiological aspects of self defense.
Behaviorally Inspired & Genetically Wired™
S.P.E.A.R. is an acronym that stands for Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response. It relies on your mind and body’s natural reflexes to danger and violence. Rather than attempt to replace your natural responses with a complex motor skill, the S.P.E.A.R. System™ converts your startle/flinch into a tactical option. Therefore, it is the fastest thing you can do because it is what your body wants to do prior to any training. Because the system is “Behaviorally Inspired & Genetically Wired™”, anyone can learn it and everyone can do it.
What will I learn?
This program is based on a simple thesis:
- What does the body’s survival system want to do prior to any training?
- Does this response have a protective or combative application?
- If so, why aren’t we integrating it?
How this enhances your ability to survive in a self defense scenario:
- Common ground that everyone can work with
- Non-perishable skill set
- Quick and simple to learn and practice
- Everyone can do it because it’s basic physiology
“All fights are dangerous, but the most dangerous of all is the ambush.” – Coach Tony Blauer
The most dangerous moment of a violent encounter is the surprise attack. Therefore, you must learn how to convert your natural startle/flinch reflex into a tactical response.
Through the course of this program, you will learn:
- Understand why the startle/flinch is effective in protecting your body based on scientific research
- Learn tools and strategies for Fear Management
- Understand why conventional martial art moves rarely work against a surprise attack
- Analyze and demystify how attacks are initiated in real life
- Explore “Hick’s Law” and why having less response options is better than having more
- Learn to convert the startle/flinch into a protective tool (the famous S.P.E.A.R. Tactic)
- Learn Non-Violent Postures to manage people encroaching into your personal space
- Learn principles to Detect, Defuse, and Defend situations as they develop
- Understand the 3 things bad guys want and the 3 things bad guys don’t want
- Explore the legal implications of defending yourself
- And much more!
The S.P.E.A.R. System™ does not interfere or replace any previous training you may have. People from many different martial arts backgrounds, law enforcement, military, to folks with no previous experience whatsoever have found great benefit in learning this material.
If you have some kind of self defense background, the S.P.E.A.R. is designed to help you survive the ambush so that you can then access your complex motor skills, i.e. your self defense system whether that be karate, boxing, or judo.
If you don’t have any martial arts background, the S.P.E.A.R. will help you survive the ambush, then we will help you with your follow up skills using the CWCT (Closest Weapon Closest Target) principle.
The S.P.E.A.R. System™ has been medically evaluated in three separate continents.
All Personal Defense Readiness™ concepts and drills are underpinned by anatomy, physiology, psychology, neurobiology, kinesiology, and physics. It functions independent of gender and size. It is self correcting.
You. Can. Do. This!
Here are a few previews, websites, and articles to learn more. Info on how and where to get P.D.R.™ training in the Birmingham area is at the bottom of this page.
How & Where to Get Training
If you are interesting in receiving email notification of any upcoming P.D.R.™ courses or are interested in hosting a course for your family, church, gym, martial arts school, workplace, etc., please contact us!
We look forward to training with you at a course soon!